mail/roundcube (bsd.php.mk broken?)

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Thu Mar 24 17:08:12 UTC 2016

On 03/24/16 17:11, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> On 2016-03-23 09:33 PM, Guido Falsi wrote:

>>> You are correct, however I think php is a special case, because it's a
>>> slow adopter, sadly a lot of hosting providers have not updated and a
>>> lot of software is still not compatible with the latest versions. For
>>> example, the default version of php in CentOS 7 is still 5.4, so I don't
>>> see why removing it from ports was a good idea.
>>>

>> The reason is it is not supported, bugs and vulnerabilities are not
>> fixed, we would end up giving potentially insecure software, or even
>> worse, software with known vulnerabilities.
>
> I get what you are saying, but I think these kind of changes could be
> handled better. You go to update something and shit breaks or you get
> some incomprehensible errors such as in this case forcing you to rummage
> through some UPDATING file or mailing lists. What ever happened to POLA?
> Why couldn't it have prompted me upon trying to perform a minor update
> of roundcube that my version of PHP is no longer supported, and perhaps
> give me an option to continue anyways at my own risk since it works just
> fine with the php i have installed. Now i have to manually reinstall all
> the php packages and binaries that depend on them and hope that my php
> software will still function with the new php. That is why i say that
> FreeBSD is a PITA to maintain.

Removed ports are written in the MOVED file:

lang/php5||2016-02-14|PHP 5.4 is End of Life
http://php.net/supported-versions.php
lang/php5-extensions||2016-02-14|PHP 5.4 EOL reached
mail/php5-imap||2016-02-14|PHP 5.4 is End of Life
http://php.net/supported-versions.php
math/php5-bcmath||2016-02-14|PHP 5.4 is End of Life
http://php.net/supported-versions.php
(etc.)

Also, portmaster (and all the other tools) have toggles to perform "dry
runs" which you could use and would help spotting at least some problems.

It has been also raised a few times that portmaster is itself
unmaintained (or at least has been for a long time)

Please also note that adding tons of alerts is going to attract a lot of
criticism too.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>