gnome-post-install ordering

Mathieu Arnold mat at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 21 14:35:56 UTC 2016

+--On 16 mars 2016 10:57:54 -0700 Don Lewis <truckman at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
| I'm trying to debug why gtk-update-icon-cache isn't getting run when
| the OpenOffice package is installed and ran into something that I don't
| understand.
|
| The Makefile contains INSTALLS_ICONS=yes, which has the side effect of
| setting USES+=gnome, USE_GNOME+=gtk-update-icon-cache, and
| _USES_install+=690:gnome-post-install, and that target is responsible
| for parsing ${TMPPLIST} and invoking gtk-update-icon-cache as needed.
| I do see gtk-update-icon-cache in the dependency list in +MANIFEST, so
| it appears that INSTALLS_ICONS=yes is being detected.
|
| It appears that things go wrong because I'm using the Makefile
| post-install target to generate the plist.  If I look at bsd.port.mk, I
| see that _STAGE_SEQ contains 700:post-install.  It looks to me like
| gnome-post-install is getting run before the plist is generated, which
| would explain why gnome-post-install isn't detecting any icons and not
| invoking gtk-update-icon-cache.
|
| Why is gnome-post-install earlier than post-install, which at least some
| ports use to do plist generation?  Some ports do plist generation in
| do-install, but that doesn't work if there are do-install option helpers
| because those get run after the main do-install target.
|
| There is the TARGET_ORDER_OVERRIDE knob, but it is very lightly used.

It is there exactly for the problem you have, change the order targets are
run for one port.

And it is very lightly used because it's only needed when you do some
strange things that nobody else does ;-)

For example, I just added it to devel/p5-ReadLine-TTYtter because I needed
to run post-install before fix-perl-things.  And it was ok to do it because
it's a somewhat unique case.

So, basically, you need to put:

TARGET_ORDER_OVERRIDE= 650:post-install

so that it's ran before gnome-post-install, and you're set.

Now, I don't have a problem with moving gnome-post-install after
post-install (like, 710), which would also fix your problem, but it will
need an exp-run to make sure nothing breaks.

--
Mathieu Arnold