Multiple versions of Python packages (2.7 vs 3.4)

Marcus von Appen mva at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 16 23:36:37 UTC 2016

Quoting Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz>:

> I checked that most files are installed in versioned subdirectory,
> for example python2.7/site-packages, some tools have versioned
> binaries like /usr/local/bin/pip-2.7 but they have also symlink
> /usr/local/bin/pip. Are there any way to create / install those
> packages without creating this symlink?
> If I didn't miss something the symlinks are the only common files
> for both versions so it will be overwritten by the later
> installation or upgrade. Or not?

No, it won't. The symlink depends on the DEFAULT_VERSIONS entry in your
/etc/make.conf or the ports default. Right now Python 2.7 is the default
for the FreeBSD ports tree, so the symlinks are only created for Python 2.7.
If you install Python 3.4 or another version, they won't be overridden.

Cheers
Marcus