print/cups overhaul (PR 207746) side-effects

Tijl Coosemans tijl at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 12 16:38:15 UTC 2016

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 16:41:47 +0100 Martin Waschbüsch <martin at waschbuesch.de> wrote:
> Am 12.03.2016 um 14:10 schrieb Tijl Coosemans <tijl at FreeBSD.org>:
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 20:52:08 +0100 Martin Waschbüsch <martin at waschbuesch.de> wrote:
>>> I just did a rebuild of packages for my webservers with poudriere.
>>> What I noticed was that via the print/cups overhaul (see PR 207746),
>>> quite a lot (>50) of additional dependencies are added to the system,
>>> including lots of x11 related libs, avahi, dbus, cairo, opengl, etc.
>>>
>>> This stems from installing pecl-imagick which results in pulling in
>>> ImageMagick, ghostscript, and cups.
>>>
>>> Now, of course I can manually remove port options and reduce the number
>>> of additional dependencies, but I feel uneasy about the defaults now.
>>>
>>> If I wanted to adjust an existing port to be less greedy with regards
>>> to dependencies, how would I go about that? Create a slave port?
>>
>> print/cups has its X11 option disabled by default.  It does depend on
>> devel/dbus which has its X11 option enabled by default, but this only
>> pulls in a few X11 dependencies, definitely not cairo.
>
> That is not true. Cairo does get pulled in.
>
> Steps to recreate (on a 10.2 build box):
>
> $ poudriere ports -c -p HEAD
> $ poudriere jail -c -v 10.2-RELEASE -j test -p HEAD
>
> just to be safe, I add:
>
> $ echo "OPTIONS_UNSET+= X11" > /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/test-make.conf
>
> select the one port to build:
>
> $ echo "print/cups" > /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/test-port-list
> $ poudriere options -j test -p HEAD -f /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/test-port-list
>
> Then do a dry-run:
>
> $ poudriere bulk -n -j test -p HEAD -f /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/test-port-list
>
> This ends up telling me that the following 126 ports would be built:

I see.  It's a build dependency of gobject-introspection, but not a run
dependency so it shouldn't get installed when you install the cups package.
If you don't need Zeroconf support you can disable the AVAHI option in
print/cups.  If you do want it you can disable the OPENGL option in
graphics/cairo.  That should take out the most expensive dependencies like
llvm.