google authenticator / missing UPDATING entries

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Tue Mar 8 14:49:54 UTC 2016

Vick Khera wrote on 03/08/2016 15:08:
> Today I upgraded pam_google_authenticator from 20140826_1 to
> 1.01.20160208,1 and discovered that it no longer worked. Remote login just
> closed connection.
>
> It turns out that the necessary shared PAM library moved
> from /usr/local/lib/pam_google_authenticator.so
> to /usr/local/lib/security/pam_google_authenticator.so
>
> There is no note in UPDATING file about this at all. This should be very
> loudly noted in the package upgrade and in the UPDATING file that the pam
> configurations need to be modified.

It seems UPDATING is overlooked by maintainers. It is not the first time
this year where pkg upgrade is causing breakage without prior notice of
users through UPDATING.
I have UPDATING in RSS, have my own scripted notifications (by diffing
UPDATING file) and I use 'pkg updating' before each 'pkg upgrade'...
still beaten by upgrades with not compatible changes. :(
For example Postfix with missing VDA. (I already submitted PR 207684)

Miroslav Lachman