issue updating xfce

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Mon Jun 20 18:36:21 UTC 2016

I made a mistake trying to add a new package and had to update xfce. Among other
changes webkit2-gtk3 was updated from 2.8.5_2 to 2.8.5_3. This generated error
in some packages added including firefox, thunderbird, and xpad. These programs
fail with the error:

  /usr/local/lib/libgtk-3.so.0: Undefined symbol "g_param_spec_get_name_quark"

I was able to get around the mozilla issues by using previous versions from
/var/cache/pkg. I tried to rebuild xpad but that just lead to another chain of
things that would not build. I solved this by building xpad3 rather than 4.7
which was installed.

I could not find any bugs but it seems to me that there is an error in the way
requirements/dependencies are defined in the package distribution for amd64,
FreeBSD 10.x. The module in question did not change. The above symbol is not
defined in a working system I have. So the problem is not (I think) the fact
that it is undefined. The error rather seems to be that packages that are okay
with gtk3-3.18.8_3 as a requirement do in fact not work with it.

I would have posted a bug, but the lack of questions marks not withstanding, I
am not sure of my theory. So this is just a heads up in case I might be correct.