Jail's emails

Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff stdin at niklaas.eu
Sat Jun 11 11:14:43 UTC 2016

Grzegorz Junka [2016-06-11 11:10 +0000] :

> I have a couple of jails and every day I am receiving an email from each
> about the status of that jail. Then there are additional weekly emails
> and additional monthly email. It doesn't take much time to review and
> delete them all but I am wondering if there is any standard way of
> dealing with those emails in installations where there is many more
> jails than in my case? Would it be possible to receive a general email
> covering all jails (best if containing just deviations from the standard
> instead of all default and non-default information)?

What you can do to suppress masses of email but at least save the
messages in log files is adding the following to /etc/periodic.conf:

--8<-
    # saves daily output to file instead of mailing it
    # we still receive weekly and monthly via mail
    daily_output="/var/log/daily.log"
    daily_status_security_output="/var/log/daily.log"
-->8-

Nevertheless, I am also looking forward to other suggestions for how to
deal with status mails by jails.

    Niklaas