Firefox 47.0 hangs when accessing cnn.com

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Thu Jun 9 19:52:26 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 01:21:06PM +0000, Grzegorz Junka wrote:

> On 09/06/2016 13:10, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> > On 06/09/16 00:10, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> >> No easy answers. I, also have no issues with 47.0 on my system and there
> >> are no other reports of the problem you are having. So where to look?
> >>
> >> What version of FreeBSD are you running? On what platform? i386 or
> >> amd64 or
> >> something else. Most people are running amd64. If ir is another
> >> platform,
> >> issues are less likely to have been seen. Is it 10.3 or something else.
> >>
> >> Unless someone else has a better suggestion, I'd re-install all
> >> dependencies. Older versions are more likely to have issues.I use
> >> portmaster, but I know portupgrade can also do this. Or use packages.
> >> It's
> >> a lot faster when you don't need any options on the ports.
> >>
> >> Other than that, I have no good ideas other than to re-install
> >> everything.
> >> And that may not fix it as it is possible that it's a memory or other
> >> hardware issue.
> >>
> >> I hope someone else has a better idea than I.
> >> --
> >> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
> >> E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com
> >

> > +1 on packages, *much* faster & same end result if you have no special
> > compile options ....
> >

> I second that and repeat what I said before. If you want to compile your
> own packages with custom options then fine, but do it properly with
> either poudriere or synth. Otherwise, just use the FreeBSD generic ones.
> Portupgrade and portmaster are fine but only as long as they work, and
> from my experience sooner or later they always stop working and from
> then there is going to be a path of misery, wasted time and broken
> applications.

Well, I've compiled and reinstalled all of the packages on the system with
synth with the same result. BTW, from what I could tell, synth forced me to
remove any local configuration files that I had for the half a dozen or so
ports prior to allowing me to to the 'synth upgrade-system' run.

I don't know what is going on/wrong with firefox, but it seems to be getting
hung up with some scripts that it tries to run. Since I replaced the version
47 of firefox with the previous 46 version and the problem persisted, I
suspect that the issue may not be in firefox at all. It's just the victim.

> Grzegorz

Bob Willcox    | Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
bob at immure.com | Who knows?  Who cares?
Austin, TX     |