Firefox 47.0 hangs when accessing cnn.com

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Tue Jun 7 13:13:00 UTC 2016

Thanks for the reply Grzegroz. I've since discovered that I still do
get the dialog box about the stopped script popping up sometimes (even
when I don't go to cnn.com, though that seems to exacerbate it).

Just for completeness, here's the text of the recent popup:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can
stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script
continue.

Script: http://ajax.cloudflare.com/cdn#loudflare.min.js line 4 > eval:2

I really need to revert back to 46 somehow. The new version (47) just isn't
usable in my environment. I've been performing a ports build/install, I'm
thinking I will try simply doing a 'pkg install' next.

Bob

On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 12:57:15PM +0000, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> I don't believe it's possible to revert ports to a previous version
> (other than through SVN). However, if you have the older version of the
> firefox package (e.g.
> /usr/local/poudriere/data/packages/your-system/All) you should be able
> to just point pkg to it.
>
> But before doing that I would suggest to reset your Firefox settings
> just in case this problem is caused by an extension or other improper
> configuration (e.g. by renaming the .mozilla/firefox folder or using the
> FF setting that I don't remember now). You could also try to open
> cnn.com in a private window where the plugins are disabled by default.
>
> Grzegorz
>

> On 07/06/2016 12:48, Bob Willcox wrote:
> > Hi Grzegorz,
> >
> > I altered my configuration to match what you list below and rebuilt/installed
> > firefox. I no longer get the dialog box about the script not working but
> > cnn.com still doesn't load as expected. It now will eventually complete but it
> > takes several minutes (I didn't precisely time it, but it's about 4 or 5
> > minutes) during which time firefox doesn't respond to any input at all. It
> > does seem to eventually complete transferring data and updating but then
> > firefox becomes very slow and unresponsive.
> >
> > So, what is the best way to revert back to version 46? I really can't use
> > 47 with the way it is behaving now.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bob
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 07:03:49PM +0000, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
> >> I have upgrade to Firefox 47.0_1,1 earlier today and just tried cnn.com
> >> - works without issues. I have compiled with poudriere using options:
> >>
> >> # This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
> >> # Options for firefox-45.0.1_3,1
> >> _OPTIONS_READ=firefox-45.0.1_3,1
> >> _FILE_COMPLETE_OPTIONS_LIST=BUNDLED_CAIRO CANBERRA DBUS DEBUG DTRACE
> >> FFMPEG GCONF GIO GNOMEUI INTEGER_SAMPLES LIBPROXY OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS PGO
> >> PROFILE RUST TEST GTK2 GTK3 ALSA PULSEAUDIO
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=BUNDLED_CAIRO
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=CANBERRA
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=DBUS
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=DEBUG
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=DTRACE
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=FFMPEG
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=GCONF
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=GIO
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=GNOMEUI
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=INTEGER_SAMPLES
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=LIBPROXY
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=PGO
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=PROFILE
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=RUST
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=TEST
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=GTK2
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=GTK3
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=ALSA
> >> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=PULSEAUDIO
> >>
> >> Not sure why the file contains 45.0.1_3,1, probably because it hasn't
> >> changed since then:
> >>
> >> g at crayon2:~ % pkg info | grep firefox
> >> firefox-47.0_1,1               Web browser based on the browser portion
> [...]

Bob Willcox    | Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
bob at immure.com | Who knows?  Who cares?
Austin, TX     |