Firefox 47.0 hangs when accessing cnn.com

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Tue Jun 7 12:48:13 UTC 2016

Hi Grzegorz,

I altered my configuration to match what you list below and rebuilt/installed
firefox. I no longer get the dialog box about the script not working but
cnn.com still doesn't load as expected. It now will eventually complete but it
takes several minutes (I didn't precisely time it, but it's about 4 or 5
minutes) during which time firefox doesn't respond to any input at all. It
does seem to eventually complete transferring data and updating but then
firefox becomes very slow and unresponsive.

So, what is the best way to revert back to version 46? I really can't use
47 with the way it is behaving now.

Thanks,
Bob

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 07:03:49PM +0000, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
> I have upgrade to Firefox 47.0_1,1 earlier today and just tried cnn.com
> - works without issues. I have compiled with poudriere using options:
>
> # This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
> # Options for firefox-45.0.1_3,1
> _OPTIONS_READ=firefox-45.0.1_3,1
> _FILE_COMPLETE_OPTIONS_LIST=BUNDLED_CAIRO CANBERRA DBUS DEBUG DTRACE
> FFMPEG GCONF GIO GNOMEUI INTEGER_SAMPLES LIBPROXY OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS PGO
> PROFILE RUST TEST GTK2 GTK3 ALSA PULSEAUDIO
> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=BUNDLED_CAIRO
> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=CANBERRA
> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=DBUS
> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=DEBUG
> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=DTRACE
> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=FFMPEG
> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=GCONF
> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=GIO
> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=GNOMEUI
> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=INTEGER_SAMPLES
> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=LIBPROXY
> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS
> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=PGO
> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=PROFILE
> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=RUST
> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=TEST
> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=GTK2
> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=GTK3
> OPTIONS_FILE_SET+=ALSA
> OPTIONS_FILE_UNSET+=PULSEAUDIO
>
> Not sure why the file contains 45.0.1_3,1, probably because it hasn't
> changed since then:
>
> g at crayon2:~ % pkg info | grep firefox
> firefox-47.0_1,1               Web browser based on the browser portion
> of Mozilla
>
> Grzegorz
>

> On 06/06/2016 18:21, Bob Willcox wrote:
> > I updated my firefox 46.0.1 to 47.0_1.1 yesterday (Sunday) and now when I go
> > out to cnn.com it hangs, eventually putting up a dialog box telling me that a
> > script has stop working (or something similar). Nothing I've tried so far
> > seems to help and I wind up having to kill firefox.
> >
> > Anyone else experiencing this? Not that other sites (besides cnn.com) have
> > hung on me as well, but cnn.com seems to be the worst (fails the quickest,
> > within seconds of going there).

Bob Willcox    | Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
bob at immure.com | Who knows?  Who cares?
Austin, TX     |