old ports/packages

Wed Jun 1 09:08:00 UTC 2016

On 31.05.2016 15:59, Vincent Hoffman-Kazlauskas wrote:

>>> LTS of the base system or ports? The base system is already quite well
>>> supported long-term.
>>
>> This is a very good question, because it is not that clear. But let me
>> state right here: No, the base system has not a good long-term support!
>>
>> Yes, we have 2 years for the latest release, but 2 years seems to be
>> very short for firms. Often they want 5 years.
>>
>> And you are forced to update. You can't stay on say 10.1 or 10.2 because
>> the support will end 2016. Which is short, because 10.2 was released in
>> august 2015. This is only one and a half year.
>

> To be fair the support is last release + 2 years, supporting a minor
> version for more than 2 years seems unreasonable, compare to say redhat
> a major commercial vendor.

If you want to be fair: this is not true. This would be true, if 10.1,
10.2 or 10.3 for example were minor-updates. But they were not. The
"minor updates" needs installing thousands of patches, updating all your
jails and sometimes all your ports too. It sometimes throw you out of
your server, because an SSH-Update changed the config and no key will
work anymore. In the last years i encounter a number of such unpleasant
issues in such "minor updates".

And if i calculate the time for such an "minor update" and hold it
against the time needed for a "major update" there is nearly no
difference. Same for occurred problems, needed changes, etc. There is
just no difference between an update from for example 9.2 to 9.3 or 9.3
to 10.0. At least its the same. And therefore: no, there is no real long
term supported. It is just stated, but in practice its like there is none.

Maybe i just see this wrong. But than i need to adjust my arguments for
a discussion. What to say when discussing if the OS should be FreeBSD or
Ubuntu for example and somebody referrers to the 5 year LTS support of
Ubuntu?

Greetings,
Torsten