Re:?==?utf-8?q? devel/sope: make (stage-qa) now fails with DEVELOPER=yes complaining about iconv dependency

Euan Thoms euan at potensol.com
Fri Jul 15 22:55:48 UTC 2016

On Saturday, July 16, 2016 00:10 SGT, Don Lewis <truckman at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 15 Jul, Euan Thoms wrote:
> >
> > On Friday, July 15, 2016 15:26 SGT, Kubilay Kocak <koobs at FreeBSD.org>
> > wrote:

> >> If something in a port links to libiconv (or anything else), then
> >> the dependency should be registered in that port
> >>

> > OK, thanks guys. I will add libiconv as a LIB_DEPENDS. But I still
> > think there may be a bug. The make error tells me to use USES+=iconv
> > and it doesn't work, I still get the same error about libiconv not
> > being specified as a dependancy.
>
> It looks like USES=iconv doesn't add the dependency on newer FreeBSD
> versions that have basic iconv support in the base system.  If you set
> USES=iconv:wchar_t or USES=iconv:translit, then it will unconditionally
> add the dependency.
>
> If you don't use the WCHAR_T or //TRANSLIT extensions, it may not be
> necessary to link with -liconv, but it is possible that the port does
> this automatically if it finds that libiconv is installed by another
> dependency.

Aha, in that case perhaps ignore my last email. This starts to make more sense now. although the stage-qa error message is misleading.

Is this case, would I not be better adding a LIB_DEPENDS instead of USES=iconv.wchar_t or USES=iconv:translit? I don't even know where to find out which one I need.

A bit off tpic, but personally I prefer to just use the LIB_DEPENDS for a straight dependency. Keeping track of which macros to use can be more difficult than the time they save. I've only been porting for about a year, yet the ports system seems to be going through a lot of changes in this time. All good changes I'm sure. As a user I do find installing and upgrading easier than I did when I strated using ports about 5 years ago.

I'm just about to start working on the port again now.

--
Regards, Euan Thoms