base components should always be default (Re: change in default openssl coming)

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Tue Jul 12 10:24:38 UTC 2016

On 09.07.2016 18:25, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> This discussion has now been going on for a while. Several times the
> question "Why should be do this?" has been asked and answered, but I want
> to know why it is desirable to have ports use the base OpenSSL.
I thought, I explained my thinking for this -- I'll try again: FreeBSD
ports come with the OS and should be integrated as tightly as possible.
If the base's OpenSSL is deficient -- that's an argument for updating
the base.

I'll now expand, if I may: where do we stop? If base OpenSSL is not used
by default, how about C or C++ compiler? There is precedent, our
OpenOffice port used to have its very own version of gcc
<http://www.freshports.org/lang/gcc-ooo>... I always thought it
grotesque and am glad, we are past that, but would you see "clear
advantages" to the approach?
> Other than the time and disk space required to install the OpenSSL package, I fail to see the point.
Ever heard the expression "DLL Hell"
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLL_Hell>? The reference to "DLL"
implies, the expression was born in the Windows world -- and I for one
would like to keep FreeBSD clear of this problem.

But why do you dismiss the time and space considerations? It is not just
"disk space", you know -- it is also memory at run time, because
different processes loading up different shared libraries require more
memory if the libraries aren't loaded from the same file... But even if
it were just disk space -- what advantage are you buying with it?
> There are clear advantages to making the base library private to the base system but I have seen no real, significant reason to use the base library.
What are the "clear advantages" to making a major component of the OS
inaccessible to application-writers? And what are the qualifications,
that a reason must pass to be accepted as "real" and "significant"?
> It would be nice if a response or two could be technically supportable, but that might be asking a bit too much. The initial post to this was mostly "because I like it this way" and was lacking in technical basis.
You seem preparing yourself for disappointment. Did I fail your
expectations?..

    -mi