gnu screen incompatibility?

Cy Schubert Cy.Schubert at komquats.com
Fri Jul 8 12:52:32 UTC 2016

In message <1b91ff12-f4b3-bff8-be2c-58ef378f3511 at FreeBSD.org>, Andriy Gapon
wri
tes:
> On 08/07/2016 09:50, Greg Rivers wrote:
> > On Friday, July 08, 2016 09:43:17 Andriy Gapon wrote:
> >> It seems that screen 4.4.0_1 can not connect to sessions started with
> >> the previous version 4.3.x.  At least that was the case for me.
> >>
> > I noticed that too, but:
> >
> > $ pkg info -D screen
> > screen-4.4.0_1:
> > Always:
> >
> > As of GNU Screen 4.4.0:
> >
> > Note that there was fix to screen message structure field
> > responsible for $TERM handling, making it impossible
> > to attach to older versions.

> Oh, I overlooked this...
> I checked UPDATING and there was nothing related in it.  It would be
> nice to get this kind of a message before a package is actually
> upgraded, not after, as happens with pkg.

I just added an UPDATING entry as well, though that doesn't help pkg users.
Producing a message before the package installs would be better. Is there a
way to produce pkg-message before install without too many gymnasitics?

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at cschubert.com>