[HEADSUP] change in default openssl coming

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Fri Jul 8 09:45:23 UTC 2016

Mathieu Arnold mat at FreeBSD.org wrote on Fri Jul 8 06:26:33 UTC 2016:

> I will be changing the
> default OpenSSL for the ports tree from the base system version to
> security/openssl.

This could be odd for something like ports-mgmt/pkg if it currently uses the base system version: needing to have had already built security/openssl in order to build/use pkg.

pkg tends to depend on the base system or have its own copies of things so that it is largely self contained --at lest that is my general understanding.

I'm only using ports-mgmt/pkg as an illustration of an idea: I might be wrong about it using openssl for example. There might be other things besides ports-mgmt/pkg that might have such a relationship to the base system, sort of a bootstrapping issue.

I'll note that I sometimes use powerpc and/or powerpc64 where source-based builds are required: no binary distributions are generally available for ports for them.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net