Did pkg drop ftp support?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 31 15:46:40 UTC 2016

On 31/01/2016 14:46, Helmut Schneider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> url: "pkg+ftp://ftp.mysite/pub/FreeBSD/ports/${ABI}"
>
> worked fine until ~2 weeks ago. Now I get an error message when running
> pkg:
>
> [helmut at BSDHelmut1064 ~]$ sudo pkg update
> pkg: invalid scheme pkg+ftp
> pkg: Cannot parse configuration file!
> [helmut at BSDHelmut1064 ~]$
>
> Was ftp support dropped?

No, this has not officially changed that recently.  There was a change
last November that limited the valid URL schemes in a repo.conf only to
the ones originally intended[+].  There never should been a 'pkg+ftp://'
URL scheme officially -- if it ever worked, that was a bug.

FTP support is still available, but you need URLs of the form:

url: "ftp://ftp.mysite/pub/FreeBSD/ports/${ABI}"

This implies mirror_type = none, ie. that the listed FTP site simply
contains the repository with all the various packages available.

The 'pkg+http' or 'pkg+https' URL forms are special for when SRV records
are used for mirroring, which is a consequence of the requirement in RFC
2616 that only simple hostnames are used for http:// or https:// URLs.
If you're using a pkg+http:// or pkg+https:// URL then you must have
mirror_type = srv.

	Cheers,