gcalcli and dependencies?

Kubilay Kocak koobs at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 8 18:27:41 UTC 2016

On 9/01/2016 4:58 AM, Henrik Hudson wrote:
> I'm the maintainer for the gcalcli port.
>
> It looks like the current dependency on the oauth2client requires a version
> <=1.4.12 to properly work. oauth2client current is at 1.5.2 in
> ports.
>
> According to this:
> https://github.com/insanum/gcalcli/issues/204
>
> The fix is to move from gflags to argparse in their code, but I'm
> guessing that's not super trivial.
>
> Supposedly, gcalcli 3.4 will fix that, but should the current port
> be marked as broken? Should a oauth2client14 port be created? other
> solutions / suggestions?
>

> thanks.
>

> henrik

Hi Henrik.

Yep, mark it BROKEN=Requires oauth2client <= 1.4.2 (port is 1.5.2+)

A new port for a (probable) short term workaround is probably not
worthwhile, particularly if a fix is forthcoming. If you can muster a
patch in the short-term, even better. Send it upstream for bonus points.

One extra thing you can do is:

* Remind upstreams (gcalcli in this case) to track their dependencies
correctly (oauth2client was missing prior to this commit) and to always
test (tox, pytest, travis, whatever) against the latest versions, not
<X+1.0.