Porting Catfish and Autokey to FreeBSD

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 7 10:18:59 UTC 2016

On 01/07/16 06:33, PeerCorps Trust Fund wrote:
> It seems as though FreeBSD has an inotify compatibility layer.
>
> At least that's what we've been informed. One committer in the
> community is currently working on getting it operational and into the
> ports collection.

It's already been ported.  See devel/libinotify

I say 'ported' but this is a wrapper providing the inotify API built on
top of kqueue(2), because FreeBSD doesn't provide the same notification
kernel functions as Linux does.

This implementation passes the inotify test suite and as far as I can
tell, behaves almost identically, except for the semantics around
process fork(2)'ing.  Under Linux, you can set up inotify and have those
settings preserved in a child process after forking.  kqueue(2) doesn't
let you do that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew