synth package for 11-CURRENT amd64

John Marino freebsdml at marino.st
Sat Feb 27 16:33:57 UTC 2016

Matthias Apitz wrote:
> I see. The above 1794 ports are result of a file of some ~300 ports
> which I passed to poudriere to build them. I should just use the same
> file as input. Does 'synth prepare-system' expect a file? I did not saw
> this in the git pages and have no manual until now.

As you noted, "prepare-system" is a convenience command that uses the
pkg database to generate a build list.  It doesn't take a file as input
because that doesn't make sense.  In your case, you would want
"just-build" followed by "rebuild-repository" or you'd use "build" and
answer the questions when it's finished.

"prepare-system" is basically dumping the list of installed ports from
pkg(8) and just building those and then building the repository
afterwards.

John

P.S. please keep me in CC: as I am not subscribed to list