mail/postfix and mail/postfix-current need upgrading

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Fri Feb 26 17:29:49 UTC 2016

> In ports we have:
>  mail/postfix-current 2.11.7
>  mail/postfix 2.8.0
> The version in mail/postfix-current is just barely still supported,

"barely still supported" is not accurate.  2.11 is still the most common
implementation by a good margin.  Wietse recognizes this which is why he
has always offered excellent long-term support of popular releases and
why 2.10, 2.11 and 3.0 are all still fully supported.

You're right about 2.8 however, this should be deprecated and marked as
such by 'pkg audit'.

> The current situation is most unfortunate, as some ports
> (like mail/mailman) insist in their dependency on mail/postfix,
> which has (among others) no support for internationalized
> e-mail addresses, and is no longer supported upstream.

In practice this is a non-issue given the still experimental nature of
internationalized email addresses, the lack of mature translating rules
or parsing libraries, the security implications, the fact that nobody is
using them and the very real likelihood that they will never become
viable (not entirely unlike ICANN's other poorly thought out and even
more poorly implemented "any TLD" scheme, as in any TLD you're wiling to
pay us big bucks for).  OTOH Postfix 3 does have other important features
that make it worth upgrading to.

> It would be appreciated if both ports were updated.
> Preferably mail/postfix to 3.1 and mail/postfix-current to 3.2,

3.2 is an experimental release.  It would be misleading to label it
current.

> or at least: mail/postfix to 2.11 and mail/postfix-current to 3.1.

Agreed.

While we're on the subject of Postfix, has anyone tried submitting a
patch to remove the unnecessary perl5 build dependency?  We don't install
perl to our smtp jails so always do this but it seems odd the maintainer
still requires such a heavyweight build-dep for a lightweight one-line
regex.

Roger