Patch for named rc.d script to allow multiple instances

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Wed Feb 24 01:57:48 UTC 2016

Howdy,

I'm currently working on a project that requires multiple instances of
named to run on the same server. So I took some time to modify the rc.d
script to support that robustly.

The original concept for rc.d was that it should be easy to run multiple
instances of the same service, using a mechanism similar to the one
here. However that original mechanism was not ever/widely used. As a
result some of the code was removed, some of it rotted, etc. It's still
*relatively* easy to do, and hopefully the notes included in the patch
explain the process sufficiently.

FWIW, I don't care if the patch is incorporated anywhere or not. But
since the work is already done I thought I'd share it in case it's
useful to someone.

best regards,

Doug