Removing documentation

Kurt Jaeger lists at opsec.eu
Mon Feb 15 17:57:32 UTC 2016

Hi!

> > So, if it was too burdensome for the whole project to support
> > two trees (that probably was the estimate for the core developers
> > involved [and I'm not one of them]), why, do you think, would
> > it have worked for a sub-fraction of the project ?
>
> Thanks Kurt, for cutting to the core issue.  It's one that has dogged
> FreeBSD for some time now i.e., to either A) manage change-control with a
> long term perspective with the goal of growing or at least retaining the
> installed base of end-users or B) with a short-term perspective for the
> benefit of our generous and skilled developers.

I've never met bapt, who implemented pkg, or bdrewery, but from
what I can see, implementing pkg was not a short-term project for them.

It was the only way out from the technical burden of the old scheme,
they saw the problem, and went to solve it.

If someone A wants someone B else to work harder for his own benefit:
You can always hope that B is doing it, but you can not expect it.

And it's a bit strange to disparage such a person with a snide remark
like 'short-term perspective'. It's always easy to argue from the
sideline.

--
pi at opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         4 years to go !