Removing documentation

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Mon Feb 15 10:59:52 UTC 2016

Steven Hartland wrote:
> On 14/02/2016 11:25, Michelle Sullivan wrote:
>> Kevin Oberman wrote:
>>> My experience is that pkg(8) has been wonderfully robust since 1.3.
>>> before
>>> 1.3 it was a real pain in the neck, though I never had a need to
>>> rebuild
>>> the DB, I did ave to do a bit of fix-up. I really, really wish Bapt had
>>> listened and held up the default to pkg for a bit. Much as I like
>>> it, it
>>> really was not ready for prime time when it became the default. The
>>> early
>>> issues chased too many people away. E.g. you.
>>>
>> Nailed it!
> The problem with that is its a chicken and egg situation, without it
> hitting prime time it likely wouldn't have got the needed use to
> identify and subsequently fix the issues you're referring to; at the
> very least it would have slowed that process down :(

You're wrong.  It was the default in 10.x ... as people upgraded to 10.x
it would have gotten more and more exposure, slowly and more controlled.

The way it was forced down everyone's necks pushed it to 8.4 and 9.x
systems as well as 10.x, this was a bad decision.  It was a decision
made by someone who doesn't live in the real world of production servers
and production services...

The results were the same as back in the 7.x days when the last "ports"
change happened making it incompatible with previous versions of
FreeBSD....

...Systems out there stopped updating (getting updated)...

...Systems out there are now a security risk with 'FreeBSD' written on
the front door...

...Some of the FreeBSD systems that were out there now run Solaris or
CentOS.... (because we know that despite how much of a pain the fricken'
butt and expensive to maintain, it's better than the expense connected
when some developer out in their small world of running a blog server
that thinks they know how to administer production servers says, "You
know what we're just going to change the base way software (and
therefore patch) management works in the OS across your production
environment...  because we need more people to test our software.")

Anyhow, too late now the damage has been done and there is no way to get
the goodwill back or repair that damage now.

Regards,

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/