Removing documentation

Fri Feb 12 09:00:34 UTC 2016

On 12.02.2016 07:21, Royce Williams wrote:

>>> I'm advocating that we stop quasi-providing four different flavors of
>>> apt-get.  Until there is a single and official mechanism for both
>>> dependency resolution and configuration option management, the
>>> fragmentation remains.
>>
>> Why do you think this is the case?  Ports defines the dependencies and
>> pkg respects them.  I'm not seeing where there more than one method
>> here.  What other ones are there?
>

> The current ports/pkg relationship is still fragile, perhaps because
> it's new.  I almost abandoned FreeBSD entirely a couple of months ago
> when an interesting corner case of the use of pkg managed to
> unilaterally and without warning delete in its entirety the contents
> of /usr/local/etc/rc.d in of my jails.
>
> Contrast this with the Ubuntu world, where there is a well-baked
> "unattended-upgrades" option that automatically downloads and upgrades
> all security updates for both the OS and all third-party packages.

These are not well-baked, i did find multiple problems with them.

Also this is *not* something you really want. If security really is
important you do not install software without your explicit approval.
There are to many things which can go wrong and normally do. These
complains are often in the Ubuntu world.

The Ubuntu world is not so bright as you say. ;)

Greetings,
Torsten