synth documentation

John Marino freebsdml at marino.st
Wed Feb 10 08:46:45 UTC 2016

On 2/10/2016 2:57 AM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> I installed the synth package a couple of days ago, mainly to take a
> look.  And yes, I agree, if you're happy with the package (I would
> be), the Ada dependencies and long build times aren't an issue.

I'm racking my brains and I can't find a single rational reason why
somebody would refuse the package (especially if building it on an Atom
is the alternative).

1) It's a binary executable, it either works or it doesn't.
2) It's not a library; nothing else depends on it.
3) The packages are signed by FreeBSD so they are known to be officially
built and unaltered.
4) There's no performance characteristics to be gained by building it
with custom flags.
5) At the moment, synth has no build options.

I don't see a rationale justification for not using the package *IF* the
dependencies are perceived to be heavy.  The exchange should go like this:

A) "Synth has too many build dependencies (1 is too many)"
B) "Use the official FreeBSD package, it's small and downloads quickly."
A) "I don't want to, I build everything myself."
B) "Then don't complain."

I would love to hear rationale from [A] that would withstand scrutiny
but so far I haven't been able to imagine any myself.

John