Removing documentation

John Marino freebsdml at marino.st
Tue Feb 9 12:05:44 UTC 2016

On 2/9/2016 12:45 PM, Hrant Dadivanyan wrote:
>> 1) As was just stated earler this morning, having synth installed is 2
>> packages: Synth itself and ncurses.  These "17 dependences" are build
>> requirements and not installed.  So what is "unreasonable" about that?
>
> So will require any upgrade of synth by itself, correct ? If build from
> sources, of course.

You don't build all 17 dependencies every time, it's incremental. And
even if you did, it would take like 20-30 minutes, at most (mainly gcc).
 I would not call that "unreasonable" because time isn't critical here.
 Most of the dependences are common to other packages too.

>> 2) If 17 dependencies are such a concern, why would you not install it
>> via official freebsd packages?
>
> Ports buiding is also official. Phrasing of your question sets the
> preference in favour of prebuilt packages, my preference is opposite.

I don't think that's really answering the question.  That's a case where
you consciously reject a fast, easy solution for a different one, but
then don't accept the consequences.  Yes, it's fine fine to build form
ports (although I would be careful with "official" because everything is
pushing towards packages), but if you choose to build from source, you
are choosing to also build the build dependencies.  That's not something
you have to do.  I would actually say that complaining about known
consequences of an conscious decision is unreasonable.

by the way, packages *are* favoured.  That's been the case for a while.

> In my case it's just a preference to build everything locally.

so the cost for this preference is extra time and extra building.
That's fine.  The build dependencies are not installed.  Obtaining synth
from building on /usr/ports works too, but then the build dependencies
*are* installed.  So using a provided package would be the better way to
avoid the extra installations.

> There is no need to address it, because of two quite different use cases.
> As far as I can see synth is excellent in some cases, my point is that
> portmaster is fine in some other ones.

I did want to point out that there are many known bugs and open reports,
so it's not "fine" for everyone.  You've apparently not hit them so
that's great for you.

Actually, I don't care what you use, but the using build dependencies as
a justification for not using it and labelling it "unreasonable" at the
same time, I just wanted that expanded on.  I don't know if you still
think it's unreasonable, but I do appreciate that you took the time to
respond.

P.S.  If FreeBSD 11 didn't regress with ncurses (PR 199109) then
probably we could provide synth with NO runtime dependencies.  But there
doesn't seem to be any interest in fixing the regression unfortunately.