Using pkg to fetch packages for different ABI

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 3 07:26:18 UTC 2016

On 03/02/2016 03:37, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> Interesting, that works.  I would have thought setting it in
> the repo.conf would have worked too, though.

You'ld need to set ABI in pkg.conf rather than repo.conf

> So, can I have one (1) repo.conf and use it for multiple ABIs,
> like so?:
>
>   $ cat /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD_10x.conf
>   FreeBSD_10x: {
>     url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest
>     mirror_type: "srv",
>     signature_type: "fingerprints",
>     fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
>     enabled: yes
>   }

This is not a good idea.  You're better off having a series of different
repo.conf files, one for each ABI you want to handle.  Otherwise you
risk ending up with a mish-mash of the various different repository
catalogues in your ${PKGDIR}/repo-FreeBSD_10.sqlite DB.

In fact, if you're going to be managing the package sets for a separate
system image you'ld be better off using a custom PKGDIR specifically for
that image, and keep the default /var/db/pkg for managing the packages
on the parent host.

	Cheers,

	Matthew