Samba43 install error

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Wed Dec 28 14:33:22 UTC 2016

> On 28 Dec, 2016, at 6:32, Gerard Seibert <carmel_ny at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> FreeBSD 11.0
>
> I am unable to update samba43. The following error message is displayed:
>
> samba43-4.3.13 cannot install: SASL support requested and
> openldap-client-2.4.44  is installed.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/ports/net/samba43
>
> I am using the default port configuration as listed below:
>
> ===> The following configuration options are available for samba43-4.3.13:
>     ACL_SUPPORT=on: File system ACL support
>     ADS=on: Active Directory client support
>     AD_DC=on: Active Directory Domain Controller support
>     AIO_SUPPORT=on: Asyncronous IO support
>     CUPS=off: CUPS printing system support
>     DEBUG=on: Build with debugging support
>     DEVELOPER=off: With development support
>     DNSUPDATE=on: Dynamic DNS update (require ADS)
>     DOCS=on: Build and/or install documentation
>     EXP_MODULES=off: Experimental modules
>     FAM=on: File Alteration Monitor support
>     LDAP=on: LDAP client support
>     MANPAGES=off: Build manpages from DOCBOOK templates
>     PAM_SMBPASS=off: PAM authentication via passdb backends
>     PTHREADPOOL=on: Pthread pool
>     QUOTAS=on: Disk quota support
>     SYSLOG=on: Syslog logging support
>     UTMP=on: UTMP accounting support
> ====> Options available for the radio DNS: you can only select none or one of them
>     NSUPDATE=off: Use samba NSUPDATE utility for AD DC
>     BIND99=off: Use bind99 as AD DC DNS server frontend
>     BIND910=off: Use bind910 as AD DC DNS server frontend
> ====> Options available for the radio ZEROCONF: you can only select none or one of them
>     AVAHI=off: Zeroconf support via Avahi
>     MDNSRESPONDER=off: Zeroconf support via mDNSResponder
>
> I turned of LDAP in the config file; however, the problem still exists.
>
> I do not understand why this is happening. Does anyone have a work-around for this or should I file a PR?

OpenLDAP support is an absolute mess and is not handled well here. samba asks for a SASL-enabled OpenLDAP, but the mandatory ldb dependency brings in non-SASL OpenLDAP. The ADS knob also brings in OpenLDAP but never tells you about it.

Until this is properly fixed, you'll need to disable both the LDAP and ADS options.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at adamw.org