The ports collection has some serious issues

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Sun Dec 18 01:36:20 UTC 2016

Since you insist it's perfect, I thought I'd try synth...

On 2016-Dec-16 09:06:30 -0600, John Marino <freebsd.contact at marino.st> wrote:
>Starting with a clean system:
>1) install synth from binary package from official freebsd builder (a
>single package)

I don't understand why I need to install synth in order to build synth but
anyway:
$ sudo pkg install synth
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Updating database digests format: 100%
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'synth' have been found in the repositories
$

So I'll try to build it the old fashioned way, having downloaded nearly
100MB of sources I didn't already have:

$ cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/synth/ && make
[ about an hour of grinding away elided ]
===>   ini_file_manager-03_2 depends on file: /usr/local/gcc6-aux/bin/ada - not found
===>  gcc6-aux-20160822 is only for amd64 i386, while you are running armv6.

Overall, a total failure.

OTOH, portmaster installs in a minute or so and runs perfectly well.  I fail
to see why you are so insistant on replacing it with something that doesn't
work at all.

--
Peter Jeremy