Dropping enigmail support from enigmail

Jan Beich jbeich at freebsd.org
Sat Dec 17 22:09:15 UTC 2016

Martin Birgmeier <la5lbtyi at aon.at> writes:

> After upgrading to thunderbird-45.5.1_6 I noticed that enigmail (and
> lightning) support were gone from thunderbird. I tried to find a
> replacement package until I read the svn log message:

Lightning had 2 copies, only one of those was removed. For Enigmail see
/usr/ports/UPDATING from 20161216.

> I think a decision to remove such an essential component should not be
> taken so lightly, especially when the actual port version (45.5.1) has
> not even changed.

Why the version should change? Enigmail isn't part of Thunderbird distribution
but just one of third-party extensions you can find on addons.mozilla.org.
For historic reasons it was bundled with the port but the requirment is gone.

ENIGMAIL option was unmaintained beyond updates which were irregular.
And it was bound to get in the way if anyone attempted to refactor the
current maintenance nightmare gecko@ is in.