The ports collection has some serious issues

Michael Gmelin grembo at freebsd.org
Sat Dec 17 20:38:40 UTC 2016

> On 17 Dec 2016, at 20:47, Alphons van Werven <freebsd at skysmurf.nl> wrote:
>
> Michael Gmelin wrote:
>
>> Maybe you could elaborate a bit more what you find so annoying about
>> running "poudriere testport origin" before doing "svn commit" that you
>> are willing to drop port maintainership over it?
>
> Sure. In this case it's the precedent that bugs me.
>
> Needless to say, not being a committer myself, whether/that said folks are
> required to use Poudriere and/or Synth for their QA checking is ipso facto
> none of my concern. However, I'm pretty sure I know what comes next. When
> maintainers need to provide build/QA logs with their PRs (which I think in
> many cases makes perfect sense to request, BTW) soon enough Portupgrade or
> Portmaster logs, Portlint output, output of explicit
>  # make check-foo && make bar-qa && make love && make install
> and such will cease to suffice and those logs will be going to have to be
> Poudriere and/or Synth logs specifically. In other words: I suspect it
> won't be long before port maintainership will de facto force maintainers
> to install, learn and use Poudriere and/or Synth. And it just so happens
> that for me the former in particular is a definite no go for flight.
>
> To put things into perspective, I do feel compelled to point out that this
> is merely the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. Or the spark
> that ignited the gunpowder, if one happens to know what poudriere actually
> means. I've been a FreeBSD stalwart since the turn of the century (if not
> slightly earlier) and for the most part it has been wonderful. But ever
> since some time during the 9.X era I started to pick up signs that the
> FreeBSD project as a whole is moving into a direction that troubles me--in
> some cases deeply indeed. Particularly during the last few months I found
> myself increasingly strongly contemplating moving away from FreeBSD
> altogether. And that is exactly what I've now decided to do.
>
> There's nothing overly dramatic about that; it's a simple observation that
> too many things involving the FreeBSD project in general are going in what
> I consider undesirable directions, leading to the pragmatic conclusion
> that, the past notwithstanding, FreeBSD is unfortunately no longer the
> right operating system for me, neither personally nor professionally.
>
> I'll assume the above was sufficiently elaborate.

It was quite elaborate, but didn't really answer the question - it managed to explain your emotions though, maybe that was more important anyway.

Attaching poudriere logs has been best practice for years now and I (using FreeBSD since the mid-90s) adapted quickly, as it made perfect sense to me and getting started with poudriere just took a couple of minutes. If anything, the situation got better this year, as we have a second option (synth) available now.

Anyway, it's sad to see you leave, thanks for all your contributions, I've been using some of your ports for years.

-m