The ports collection has some serious issues

abi abi at abinet.ru
Sat Dec 17 12:17:43 UTC 2016

I tried to switch from portmaster to synth yesterday. Tests was
sponsored by zfs snapshots.

I still have strong opinion that synth IS NOT replacement for portmaster
and not usable at all.

Yes, synth build ports, however it's just builds them. I don't receive
information:

1. Why it builds exactly this list of ports, what has changed when I
upgraded my ports.
2. It doesn't provide dialog for port options, so
2.1 I don't receive information if port options have changed. I don't
know what else will be pulled to my system after port tree update.
2.2 If I make option files for all ports, synth fails to rebuild
repository if port and it's options are out of sync.
2.3 When port infrastructure switch to newer default version I must be
aware that this change occur and set damn options for new default port.

So, synth is just a dumb port building tool. If you need your own port
options you are in risk. Developer of synth said that the problem is in
my 'portmaster thinking' I should change.

And now I see that he tried to deprecate portmaster!

Fuck it. Until synth gets interactive mode. Probably I will switch to
Linux (yes, I know nobody cares) if the ability to keep custom port
options will be lost. The only tool for this now is portmaster.

Maybe it's my 'portmaster thinking' but I don't understand how one can
use synth if he or she want at least be slightly aware what's going on
in his/her system.