The ports collection has some serious issues

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Fri Dec 16 15:40:02 UTC 2016

> It is every week.  Consider the FreeBSD forums as well.
> "misuse" and "misunderstanding" failures are attributed to the tool. Let's
> stop making excuses for portmaster.  It is what it is and we've had years to
> evaluate it.

If portmaster was part of base I'd agree that it should be deprecated,
however, being a port it can be afforded more leeway.  All portmaster
needs IMO is a strong WARNING message to be displayed on installation A)
enumerating some of the potential bugs and B) clarifying that portmaster
is third party software that is neither actively maintained nor
supported (or recommended?) by FreeBSD.

Roger