The ports collection has some serious issues

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 06:42:26 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 6:42 AM, Peter Jeremy <peter at rulingia.com> wrote:
> On 2016-Dec-15 19:31:22 +0100, list-freebsd-ports at jyborn.se wrote:
>>On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 01:18:05PM -0500, George Mitchell wrote:
>
>>(But portupgrade could at times be an utter mess,
>>I never looked back after switching to portmaster
>>many years ago.)
>
> Likewise, portupgrade would explode and shower my system with bits of
> corrupt database to often for comfort.  At least part of that was caused
> by portupgrade depending on quite a few other ports and getting confused
> when it updated things whilst it was using them.

FWIW, I'm a happy portupgrade user.
Yes - sometimes it breaks, but it is quite rare, and I am able to fix
the breakage when it happens.
So for me it is "good enough".

>>And I'm not at all interested in running poudriere
>>or synth, thank you.
>
> Interestingly, the most vocal proponent of deleting portmaster and
> portupgrade is the author/maintainer of synch.

I won't say "never". But I feel that both package builders (poudriere,
synth) need some more time to shake out more issues / bugs and get
into a better shape first. This isn't based on any specific problems
or bugs, more a "felleing2 based on people's feedback in the forums
and on mailing lists.
If I was interested in package builders, I would spend some time
helping to test them. Since my interests related to FreeBSD is on
other things / tools / whatever, I spend my "FreeBSD time" on those
other things instead.

HTH
--
Regards,