No port should need root for make fetch

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Dec 13 22:34:27 UTC 2016

Am 13.12.2016 um 23:28 schrieb Julian H. Stacey:
> I'm just building a stockpile of local distfiles for use later on a mass build.
> I'm quite happy to build as root.
>
> [...]
> Please stop guessing & assuming wrongly,
> try as normal user what I reported in 3rd line of my first post
> 	cd /usr/ports; make -i fetch
> & you will breaking ports..
I'm certainly not going out to download some 30,000 distfiles.
I've checked that "make checksum" works for me as unprivileged user on
the one port,
and I do appreciate that if one port has FETCH_DEPENDS=aaaa:bbbb:build
can hurt.

So where's the solution for you?

Are you proposing a change in that ports should not be permitted to
require the "build" stage of another port as requisite, which has been a
standard mechanism in *_DEPENDS for years?

Cheers,
Matthias