No port should need root for make fetch

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Dec 13 22:28:48 UTC 2016

Matthias Andree wrote:
> Am 13.12.2016 um 22:35 schrieb Julian H. Stacey:
> >
> >> How is that a problem of "some" ports? All ports require root for "make
> >> fetch"
> > No they dont.
>
> Given that, then "none do".
>
> I'll do what what you omitted in your blind rage,

Huh ? Wrong guess, I'm just tired of broken ports.

> I've dug the important
> detail up for you, which was the first guess:
>
> $ grep _DEPENDS Makefile /dev/null
> /usr/ports/databases/mysql-q4m/Makefile:FETCH_DEPENDS+=
> ${NONEXISTENT}:${_MYSQL_SERVER}:build
>
> This doesn't say "give me root". It needs to be able to build the
> requisite port.
>
> Obviously the fix is to make sure that if you want to fetch as
> unprivileged user, that you can also *build*.
> I assume that if you want *fetch* as unprivileged user, that you also
> want to *build* as unprivileged user,

No, wrong.
I'm just building a stockpile of local distfiles for use later on a mass build.
I'm quite happy to build as root.

> so I'd take that for granted, but
> it's not the case on your system.
>
> On my system, which has a WRKDIRPREFIX that I am permitted to write to
> with the unprivileged user account doing the builds, "make fetch" for
> mysql-q4m passes without a hitch.

Please stop guessing & assuming wrongly,
try as normal user what I reported in 3rd line of my first post
	cd /usr/ports; make -i fetch
& you will breaking ports..

> > Thanks for the well intentioned & good advice Matthias,
> > But some few ports are truly Badly Behaved with make fetch.
>
> Can you cite chapter and verse of the rule that makes such a port "truly
> Badly Behaved", for reference in this list's archives?

You seem to be looking to argue. I'm not going to. Run as normal user
	cd /usr/ports; make -i fetch

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix Sys Eng Consultant Munich
 Reply below, Prefix '> '. Plain text, No .doc, base64, HTML, quoted-printable.