Thunar is slow when browsing automounted NFS shares

Olivier Duchateau duchateau.olivier at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 20:22:22 UTC 2016

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 14:34:56 +0100
Marko Cupa? <marko.cupac at mimar.rs> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought this question would be more appropriate for forums, but I got
> no answer so far there, so I'm asking again here:

There's a mailing list for Xfce related questions :)

> What can I do to speed up browsing automounted NFS shares in Thunar?
> Every double-click under /net takes at least 5 seconds to display
> contents. Clicking "back" and "up" buttons as well.
>
> There are no hangs when navigating there with cd from xfce-terminal.
> Also clementine-player navigates really fast through these folders.
>
> Any help appreciated.

Before I want to know, if Thunar is running in daemon mode (for faster startup).

Can you display result of ps x | grep thunar?

NFS bug is well known, fixes since 1.5.x (according to Xfce's bug tracker). In fact problem often comes from gvfs (in your case gvfsd-network).

If you change value of AutoMount (true -> false) in /usr/local/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount is there notable changes?

> --
> Before enlightenment - chop wood, draw water.
> After  enlightenment - chop wood, draw water.
>
> Marko Cupa?
> https://www.mimar.rs/

olivier