[HEADSUP] extracting LoadModule out of httpd.conf

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Mon Aug 15 15:13:23 UTC 2016

Mathieu Arnold wrote on 08/15/2016 15:56:
> +--On 10 août 2016 23:07:27 +0200 Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz>
> wrote:
> | So... LoadModule can be extracted from httpd.conf (and nothing else).
> | I am not sure if it should be one file for all modules or separate files
> | for each module.
>
> Keeping them all in one file is about the same as not splitting them out of
> httpd.conf, the problem is what I wrote in
> <https://reviews.freebsd.org/D7460#155853>, quoting here for easier reading:
>
>   For example, say, the user uses the official packages:
>
>      pkg install apache24
>      edit httpd.conf to enable a few extensions, like, say, ssl and
> socache_shmcb
>      some updates are done to apache, some more extensions are now built
> with it
>      pkg upgrade
>      the new extensions are in not in httpd.conf, but they are in
> httpd.conf.sample, so, the user will have to go look around in the sample
> file (and know it exists) to get the new LoadModule lines into his
> httpd.conf. This is not good.
>
> Other example:
>
>      pkg install mod_php56
>      I uncomment the LoadModule line in httpd.conf that mod_php56 magically
> added
>      some time later, after php has been updated
>      pkg upgrade
>      the LoadModule php line is gone, or has been commented out, I'm not
> happy :-)
>
> With one LoadModule (it being commented or not) per file, using @sample,
> what the user comments or uncomments never gets changed.

I am fine with this proposal for LoadModule. Even if it means more work
on the first installation and go through all the files containing just
one line.
I think I will write some script with dialog to simplify this task.

But I hope this is the only case where we split something out of httpd.conf.

Miroslav Lachman