[HEADSUP] extracting LoadModule out of httpd.conf

Patrick Powell papowell at astart.com
Fri Aug 12 14:54:53 UTC 2016

On 08/10/16 14:07, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Mathieu Arnold wrote on 08/10/2016 17:42:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It is coming.
>>
>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D7460
>>
>> constructive comments welcome.
>>
>> I don't think I will do that for Apache 2.2 because it expires at the
>> end
>> of the year.
>
> I agree that there are problems with LoadModule lines in httpd.conf.
> Because some modules add / remove or comment / uncomment lines in this
> file making pkg upgrade painful. So I moved some 3rd party modules
> configuration in to different included file to solve this issue.
> But I am not sure I we really need to split httpd.conf in to 20, 30,
> or more little files as proposed in comments in
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D7460
> I disagree with "httpd.conf never gets changed by the user" - we are
> always editing httpd.conf on all our servers. For example Listen to
> listen only on specified IP, ServerAdmin, CustomLog format and couple
> of Included *.conf files at the end of the httpd.conf
>
> I cannot agree with splitting httpd.conf in to many small files.
> Change like this was made for dovecot.conf (24 files in conf.d) and it
> is lot of pain to find something in this mess or edit more than one
> thing in one file.
>
> I understand that machine (scripted) editing of one big file is worse
> than deleting / replacing small files but for us humans one (or a few)
> files are easily editable than tens of small files.
>
> So... LoadModule can be extracted from httpd.conf (and nothing else).
> I am not sure if it should be one file for all modules or separate
> files for each module.
>
> Miroslav Lachman

I plead with the people making this change to update apachectl to list
the modules that are loaded:

 ># apachectl modules
  mod_perl ....

And when you update mod_perl and the U&*(()*&U httpd.conf file gets
mangled and the mod_perl line is removed or
commented out,   you now stand a fighting chance of finding this. With
the change to itty-bitty files this would
be even more useful.

Just out of curiosity,  how are you going to now deal with temporarily
commenting out LoadModule entries?

--
Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies
papowell at astart.com            1530 Jamacha Rd, Suite X