freebsd-update and portsnap users still at risk of compromise

Big Lebowski spankthespam at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 08:50:41 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 9:21 PM, Matthew Donovan <kitche at kitchetech.com>
wrote:

> You mean operating system as distribution is a Linux term. There's not much
> different between HARDENEDBSD and FreeBSD besides that HardenedBSD fixes
> vulnerabilities and has a an excellent ASLR system compared to the proposed
> one for FreeBSD.

And what are your sources on which you're formulating this statement? What
is the HBSD authors security, or even general coding, track record? How
well are they known for their code, whitepapers, implementations? I'd say,
not at all. You can have the example of their 'ASLR' code quality in the
FreeBSD reviews system, where known and respected coders point out very
basic and critical code mistakes, where well known and respected system
designers point out flaws in their lack of design, so on and so forth. The
only thing that's excellent about them is how they spread this opinion
about their code to other people, including you ;)

I'd much rather take my bet with kib's implementation knowing who he is and
how long and how well he does what he does (that is, quality code for
FreeBSD) than untested, un-designed, self-procclaimed code from relatively
young, inexperienced and unknown person, that's not willing to take advices
on fixing their code, when given so.

With all due respect :)