emulators/virtualbox-ose build failure

Matthias Petermann (Business) matthias at petermann-it.de
Tue Aug 2 07:42:24 UTC 2016

Hello Bernhard,

On 01.08.2016 14:25, Bernhard Fröhlich wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Matthias Petermann (Business)
> <matthias at petermann-it.de> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> during the last build of my custom package repository I did experience a
>> strange issue. I am using Synth, the build host is running FreeBSD
>> 10.3/amd64. For the last build run, I receive an error:
>>
>> In file included from
>> /construction/xports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-5.0.26/src/recompiler/cpu-exec.c:30:
>> /construction/xports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-5.0.26/src/recompiler/target-i386/exec.h:41:30:
>> error: global register variables are not supported
>> register struct CPUX86State *env asm(AREG0);
>>                              ^
>> (the full log is available in (1)). The closest I could find is stated
>> in a posting from 2012 (2) where a similiar issue from seems to occur
>> when Virtualbox is compiled with clang and not gcc. Not sure is this
>> still applies today but Makefile seems still to refer --with-gcc.
>>
>> Some observations:
>> * the build issue started when I included multimedia/kdenlive to the
>> to-be-built port list
>> * both ports (kdenlive and virtualbox-ose) share the Qt4 dependency
>> * synth is building each port in a clean chroot, builds dependencies
>> first and does a pkg install for them in the clean chroot where
>> virtualbox-ose is built
>> * kdenlive is built in order before virtualbox-ose, so Qt4 dependency
>> build seems to be triggered from kdenlive
>>
>> Has anyone on this list an idea what is going wrong here?
>>
>> Thanks in advance & best regards,
>> Matthias
>>

>> (1) https://dev.petermann-it.de/nextcloud/index.php/s/RpnDYYiyYSCjenb
>> (2) http://osdir.com/ml/freebsd-emulation/2012-04/msg00108.html
> The automated FreeBSD package building with poudriere produced the same error
> last night for FreeBSD 10.3.
>
> Since about a year the port uses a mixture of clang and gcc because clang does
> not support global register variables. On the other side building all
> ports with clang
> but only vbox with gcc created issues in KDE.
>
> The result are a couple of patches from jkim which are not supported
> at all but use
> both compilers in a mix. Might be they need to be fixed after the
> update to vbox 5.0.

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like there is a temporary fix in
place now:

(from devel/kBuild):
01 Aug 2016 17:25:27
Revision:419443     jkim
Re-add USE_GCC=any for now to fix emulators/virtualbox-ose build.

Just started my builder again...

Best regards,
Matthias

--
Matthias Petermann <matthias at petermann-it.de> | www.petermann-it.de
Innovative IT-Lösungen, Systemintegration, FreeBSD/Unix-Suppport