emulators/virtualbox-ose build failure

Matthias Petermann (Business) matthias at petermann-it.de
Mon Aug 1 11:52:51 UTC 2016

Hello,

during the last build of my custom package repository I did experience a
strange issue. I am using Synth, the build host is running FreeBSD
10.3/amd64. For the last build run, I receive an error:

In file included from
/construction/xports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-5.0.26/src/recompiler/cpu-exec.c:30:
/construction/xports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-5.0.26/src/recompiler/target-i386/exec.h:41:30:
error: global register variables are not supported
register struct CPUX86State *env asm(AREG0);
                             ^
(the full log is available in (1)). The closest I could find is stated
in a posting from 2012 (2) where a similiar issue from seems to occur
when Virtualbox is compiled with clang and not gcc. Not sure is this
still applies today but Makefile seems still to refer --with-gcc.

Some observations:
* the build issue started when I included multimedia/kdenlive to the
to-be-built port list
* both ports (kdenlive and virtualbox-ose) share the Qt4 dependency
* synth is building each port in a clean chroot, builds dependencies
first and does a pkg install for them in the clean chroot where
virtualbox-ose is built
* kdenlive is built in order before virtualbox-ose, so Qt4 dependency
build seems to be triggered from kdenlive

Has anyone on this list an idea what is going wrong here?

Thanks in advance & best regards,
Matthias

(1) https://dev.petermann-it.de/nextcloud/index.php/s/RpnDYYiyYSCjenb
(2) http://osdir.com/ml/freebsd-emulation/2012-04/msg00108.html