Failure compiling java/openjdk8

Willem Offermans Willem at Offermans.Rompen.nl
Thu Apr 28 09:30:39 UTC 2016

Dear Matthias and FreeBSD friends,

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 10:48:16AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Am 23.04.2016 um 12:02 schrieb Willem Offermans:
> > Dear FreeBSD friends,
> >
> > In my attempt to juvenile an old FreeBSD beast, I encountered another
> > hurdle: a failure compiling java/openjdk8
> >
> > <snip>
> > gmake[4]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/java/openjdk8/work/openjdk/jdk/make'
> > gmake[4]: Entering directory '/usr/ports/java/openjdk8/work/openjdk/jdk/make'
> > Compiling 9455 files for BUILD_JDK
> > Killed
> > gmake[4]: *** [/usr/ports/java/openjdk8/work/openjdk/build/bsd-x86-normal-server-release/jdk/classes/_the.BUILD_JDK_batch] Error 137
>
> That Error 137 is "signal 9 (SIGKILL)" and added 128 for "core dump
> requested". Typically an indication of a last-resort cleanup by the kernel.
>
> Has the machine run out of memory during the compile?
>
> Can you reduce the number of CPU cores used for the compile, in an
> attempt to reduce RAM usage?

You were right about the memory usage during the compilation. The system is
an old one and has only 512 MB RAM and one CPU core. During compilation of
openjdk8 it run out of memory. The swap file, which is 512 MB as well, was
completely used. Shortly after this state was reached, the above error
message appeared, but the system __did not__ freeze.

The bad part is that I cannot upgrade the old system totally. The good part
is that all other programs could be updated without any problem. Many thnx
to the good work of the FreeBSD community. I really appreciate this.

I like to test some things on this rejuvenated beast and probably I don't
need openjdk8 for that. So I can live with the situation. I only announced
it, so that other people do not run into the same situation. But who is
running a FreeBSD system with 512 MB RAM nowadays anyway?

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Will