Mailman in a jail

Kristof Provost kp at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 22 11:20:32 UTC 2016

> On 22 Apr 2016, at 13:11, Jim Ohlstein <jim at ohlste.in> wrote:
>> The main gotcha with Mailman is that it defaults to supporting Sendmail.
>> It actually needs to be rebuilt to work with postfix. That's the first
>> thing to look at. Did you install from ports or with pkg?
>
> I built it with poudriere using the Postfix option.

Okay, that’s good. I did exactly the same ;)

It’s not quite clear to me if your problem is getting Postfix to deliver to mailman, or mailman to postfix.

In my setup the list is on a separate (virtual) domain, and uses an aliases file
(alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases).
That file is maintained by mailman and will have things like 'test:             "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test”’ in it.

Return delivery (i.e. mailman sending mail) is done using the DirectSMTP module. My ‘SMTPHOST’ is set to the hostname of the jail (so to an IP address the postfix is listening on). If you’ve still got that set to the default of ‘localhost’ that might also explain your problems.
It might also be worth playing with telnet inside the jail and confirming that you can talk to your postfix that way.

Regards,
Kristof