gentoo's package.provided equivalent?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 4 08:01:49 UTC 2016

On 04/04/2016 08:39, Torsten Zuehlsdorff wrote:
> If you want to register a port build from source, but not from portstree
> have a look at pkg-register or:
> $ pkg help register
>
> I have no experience with it, but this just seems to fit your request.

In theory, you can use pkg-register(8) to create a package out of any
arbitrary set of files.  However, no one seems to be doing that on any
great scale -- which probably means that the process is too complicated,
or that the documentation is severely lacking, or maybe that it's just
too awkward compared to using ports/pkgs, and that the ports apparently
covers just about everything that you'ld need to do?

I could be wrong though -- the only example I know of creating ad-hoc
packages outside the ports, is by Dag-Erling:

https://blog.des.no/2013/08/creating-pkgng-packages-without-ports/
https://blog.des.no/2013/08/pkgng-without-ports-addenda/

(Those are a few years old now, so the details may need to be updated,
but the concept is still valid.)

	Cheers,

	Matthew