Need an expect script or p5-*Expect* to lessen keystrokes upon large ports tree changes

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 19:21:04 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 6:32 AM, Jeffrey Bouquet via freebsd-ports <
freebsd-ports at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Today  svn-of-ports has about 600 (tc,mc) /200 (r)  = 800 responses
> required (tree and etc conflicts)

> 1...
>
> Select:
>  (mc) prepare for updating moved-away children, if any (recommended),
>  (p) postone, (q) quit resolution, (h) help:
>
> [ I need expect to return mc, and a RET ]  IF expect works upon svn
>
> 2...
>
> Select:
>  (p)    (df)   (e)   (m)
>  (mc)          (tc)
>   (s)
>
> [ I need  expect to return tc , and  a RET]  Sorry for the omitted svn
> context
>
> 3...
>
> Select:
>  (r) (p) (q) (h)                          [ sorry for the omitted svn
> context]
>
> [I need expect to return r , and a RET ]
>

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Writing this request about 100/800 done for today, so cannot help this
> time, not
> urgent --  better yet if it was integrated into svn  as a feature...
>
> Seems  that, once-a-year or so, it is way too time consuming all of  a
> sudden, and sometimes
> exceedingly inconvenient -- so it would be nice to have a backup plan.
>
> I will provide context in a followup, after a few days, if that is necc.
> for some expert or
> semi-expert in expect to craft a script.
>
> Thanks in advance, or any other ideas appreciated.  Not wanting to waste
> anyone's time.
>
> Jeff

I am not volunteering to write an expect script for you though it could be
done with either expect or p5-Expect-Simple. Expect scripts, if reliable,
are very difficult to write and mistakes can, in many cases, be disastrous.
I had to write and support scripts to talk to network routers and switches
and I can't recommend it. There is always some possible response that you
either didn't know about or thought you would never receive that blows
things out of the water. And screen scraping is always risky as a minor
change between versions can break everything.

I am concerned with why this is happening. I have run "svn up /user/ports"
nightly for years with no issues like you describe. This simply should not
be happening. I'm curious as to why.

Are you running svn in a script or manually? What command are you using?
What version of subversion is installed or are you running the base
svnlite? (I use the full-blown subversion.)
Are you manually doing any edits to the ports tree?
Have you looked at the output of "svn status /usr/ports"?
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com