bsd.lib.mk and PREFIX

Jonathan Anderson jonathan at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 25 13:34:32 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I’m attempting to create a port for a library that uses BSD makefiles,
and it’s turning out to be more difficult than some other
gmake/cmake/whatever things I’ve previously ported!

The top-level Makefile within the port’s tarball looks like this:

```
LIB=			distance
SRCS=		levenshtein.c hamming.c bloom.c needleman_wunsch.c jaccard.c
SRCS+=		minkowski.c damerau.c
MAN=		distance.3
CFLAGS+=	-g -Wall -Wunused
LDADD+=		-g

SUBDIR+=	test swig

CLEANFILES+=	distance.cat3

.include <bsd.lib.mk>
```

Everything builds ok, but when I stage I get this error:

```
install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444   libdistance.a
/usr/home/jon/freebsd-ports/devel/libdistance/work/stage/usr/lib
install:
/usr/home/jon/freebsd-ports/devel/libdistance/work/stage/usr/lib:
chown/chgrp: Operation not permitted
```

I can’t, for the life of me, figure out why the ports framework wants
to install a library into `/usr/lib` instead of `/usr/local/lib`, or
what variable I could set to override this behaviour. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Jon

--
Jonathan Anderson