unable to boostrap go

Vick Khera vivek at khera.org
Wed Sep 9 15:19:17 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Vick Khera <vivek at khera.org> wrote:

> I build my own customized packages using poudriere. Lately (roughy about
> when go changed from 1.4 to 1.5) it cannot build the go 1.4.2 bootstrap. It
> fails with a bus error. This also is roughly about the time I upgraded my
> poudriere server from 10.1 to 10.2.

I've traced this down to my specific kernel configuration. I took the go
binaries built with the 10.1 kernel and they do indeed coredump with "bus
error" when run on the 10.2 kernel. Both kernels were built with the same
configuration file.

When I use a GENERIC 10.2 kernel, those same binaries do not dump core when
running "go version".

Does anyone know what specific kernel config option/device go is now needs
in the 10.2 kernel that was allowed in the 10.1 kernel by default? It is
failing here according to gdb:

(gdb) where
#0  0x00000000004a8af7 in runtime.sysctl ()
    at /usr/local/go/src/runtime/sys_freebsd_amd64.s:299
#1  0x0000000000499798 in getncpu ()
    at /usr/local/go/src/runtime/os_freebsd.c:35