How to debug a Mk-Script?

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 23:36:30 UTC 2015

On Monday, 19 October 2015, Torsten Zuehlsdorff <
mailinglists at toco-domains.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after defining a USES pgsql:9.3+ in an port-update i stumbled over this
> error message:
>
> the port wants postgresql-client version 9.3 9.4 and you have version 9.4
> installed.
>
> This seems to be an error in Mk/Uses/pgsql.mk which i found to track down
> (in order to gather some more experience).
>
> While i have already an idea what the case can be, i just want to add some
> output into the script. How is this possible? Can someone guide me please?
>
> Thanks,
> Torsten

If you just want to know the value that a variable  is being assigned, you
can run the following command at the console the print it out:
$ make -V YOURVARIABLEHERE

This doesn't let you choose where in the flow of the Makefile is the
variable changing, only once the whole Makefile has been parsed.

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02 at gmail.com