distfiles cleaner

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 19 13:56:19 UTC 2015

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 14:16:37 +0200
Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Hi ports@
> What is the modern equivalent of this obsolete stuff please ?
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=portsclean&sektion=1&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+9.0-RELEASE+and+Ports
> 	portsclean --distclean
> 	Clean out all the distfiles that are not referenced by any
> 	port in the ports tree.
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/portupgrade
> 	Portupgrade (aka pkgtools)
> 	last edited 2012-08-01

Why are you looking at the wiki? The code was updated only a few months
ago?

 https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/ports-mgmt/portupgrade/

I think the case for portupgrade and portsclean is now much stronger
than it was before they were fully converted to pkg. That removed all
the problems associated with maintaining a secondary database. The
conversion to pkg replaced portmaster's best code and portupgrade's
worst.

BTW I recently switched from distviper to portsclean. I used to prefer
distviper because of its speed, but that speed comes from assuming that
all distinfo files are called distinfo, which isn't true. I found
it was unconditionally removing the files for linux ports. It's also
never been converted to pkg which breaks its fast mode.